The average person gains between 5 to 8 pounds during the holiday period beginning at Thanksgiving and ending during New Year’s festivities according to a recent study. While many attribute the cause for this weight gain as excessive eating during the holiday period, much of the weight gain is due more to lack of exercise and physical activity.
Working Out Speeds Up Your Metabolism
1. Eat Before You Go – you will be less tempted to overindulge if you have already eaten.
2. Choose Treats Wisely – Pick something you only have during the holidays and not something that is available all of the time.
3. Don’t Skip Meals – While it might be tempting to skip meals thinking that will make up for the holiday treats, it is actually counterproductive.
4. Control Your Drinking – Alcohol is an easy way to add the calories. Avoid mixed and fruity drinks. And avoid the Egg Nog, as it has at least 350 calories per serving.
5. Exercise Whenever You Can – Exercise doesn’t mean just at the gym. Park a distance from the store, use the stairs.
6. Make It A Family Affair – Plan activities to do, such as walking the neighbourhood to view the holiday lights.
7. Don’t Forget Strength Training – Maintain your muscle mass by paring down your routine to basics.
8. Don’t Set Unrealistic Exercise Goals – Aim to exercise 30 minutes a day, instead of an hour. Its alright to divide it up into 10 minute intervals during the day.
9. Don’t Attempt To Stick To An Unrealistic Diet During The Holidays – If you enjoy your favourite foods in small portions, you will feel more satisfied. Trying to stay away from certain foods may cause you to eat more than you intended.
10. Drink Plenty Of Water – Water helps counter the dehydrating affects of travel or alcoholic beverages. Water will also help satiate your appetite as thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
11. Spread Out Your Meals – Don’t eat everything at once. Eat dinner early and walk before having dessert.
12. Make workouts a priority – Try early morning workouts.
Good-Morning to all my awesome Blog Followers and readers. I couldn’t agree more with these 12 tips. Christmas time seems to be a time of family gatherings and tasty treats and fancy alcoholic beverages that are tempting. I try to eat and drink in moderation. Yes I do drink my water! Lots of it!
I am so happy that I am into my fitness and get to the gym early in the morning so all this busyness will not distract me from getting my workouts done.
Enjoy your day and get a walk in today. As the list mentions, you can park your car further away from the store and get more steps in that way. Use stairs whenever you can.
We can enjoy the holidays! Christmas really is creeping up on us!